Human.School is conceived of as an inclusive conference. This code of conduct outlines our expectations for all those who participate in Human.School as well as the consequences for unacceptable behavior. It’s important to note that we owe much to Stumptown Syndicate and many other amazing organizations for providing us with guidance on codes of conduct.
Expectations for Behavior
- Show respect and consideration in your interactions with others. Realize that your experiences do not define reality, nor do other’s experiences. Human.School is only made possible through genuine respect, support, and dignity towards all attendees and speakers.
- Refrain from demeaning, harassing, or otherwise exclusionary behavior and speech. Examples include violence or threats of violence; sexist, racist, homophobic or otherwise discriminatory language; personal insults; intimidation of any sort.
- Maintain an awareness of those around you and alert Organizers* to people in distress, dangerous situations, or violations of the code of conduct
- Remember to take care of yourself. There is a quiet room available for nursing mothers, introverts, migraineurs, etc. Refreshments are available in the foyer
- No weapons are allowed on site. This includes knives, guns, sprays, etc.
Consequences for violations of the Code of Conduct
- Any form of unacceptable behavior will not be tolerated. Anyone asked to stop unacceptable behavior is expected to comply immediately.
- If such behavior continues, organizers may take any action including expulsion from the conference. No refunds will be granted in that circumstance.
- If you are subject to or witness violations of the code of conduct please let us know as soon as possible so we can address the situation immediately. Vehicles for communication will include email, text, tweeting, and others provided to attendees.
What you can expect of us
- We will listen and respond to your concerns with respect, and attempt to resolve the situation as quickly as possible.
- If the behavior continues the aggressor will be asked to leave the venue.
- You may reach out to Claire Oliphant or Kristen Gallagher at any time for any questions. Contact information will be provided to participants, and both organizers will be easily identifiable.